Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Soapbox #1: Superpatriotism

So, maybe I'll get a little political here. I believe in modesty and get a bit embarrassed when I see American flags flying on cars, motorcycles, and buildings on February 23 and other days that have no national significance. Memorial Day, Vet's Day, 4th of July, I get that. I also don't like the national anthem playing before a sports event, especially in the regular season. However, I'm not ungrateful for the blessing that I believe was bestowed on me by my time and place of birth.

This is a wonderful place to live, and a verdant time to live here. I served for six years and two months in the US Navy and have no regrets, other than I'd have given my service in another way, if I'd been capable at that young age to better understand the possibilities.

That said, I find the in-your-face sort of patriotism I am complaining about, to be jingoistic and disingenuous. I get the sense that those flags are waving more like bait on a stick, than for any sort of solidarity.

Here's what I'm ranting about today: those people who on the one hand force their patriotism on me, waving their flags and shouting their slogans without provocation, while on the other hand they complain loudly about athletes 'showboating' when they score a touchdown, or make a basket, or whatever.

I've heard accusations from those who wear their patriotism on their sleeve, that those who don't are 'ashamed' of their country. And, yet, these same superpatriots toss out commentary on what they perceive as immodesty in others.

Is it patriotism if you're a white television/radio commentator and immodesty if you're a black athlete? Or is it obnoxious, elitist, racism?

No comments:

Post a Comment